March 13, 2006
For the second straight week the Patriot League handed out weekly softball awards with two going to Colgate and one to Lehigh. Colgate sophomore shortstop LaPorscha Albert was named Patriot League Player of the Week, while teammate freshman second baseman/catcher Kortney Hannah was tabbed the Patriot League Rookie of the Week. Patriot League Pitcher of the Week honors went to Lehigh freshman Lisa Sweeney
Patriot League Weekly Softball Report - March 13, 2006
Download Free Acrobat Reader
Player of the Week
Colgate -- So., SS
Albert hit .461 last week from the leadoff spot and owned a .562 on-base percentage as the Raiders went 2-2 last week. In four games she had three multi-hit games for a total of six hits, walked three times and scored three runs. In the 3-2 win over Fairleigh Dickinson she scored one run and crossed the plate twice in the 4-2 win over Dayton.
Pitcher of the Week
Lehigh-- Fr., RHP
(Lumberton, N.J./Rancocas Valley Regional)
Sweeney collected two wins and a save last week for the Mountain Hawks. On Thursday she tossed a no-hitter in a 1-0 win over Maine in just her third collegiate start and is 3-1 on the season. She had two double-digit strikeout games with 12 versus Maine and 10 against Saint Joseph's. For the week she owned a 1.19 ERA and held opponents to a .127 batting average.
Rookie of the Week
Colgate -- Fr., 2B/C
Hannah hit .364 in a 2-2 week for the Raiders, hitting safely in three of four games. For the week she scored two runs, recorded two RBI and walked once. In the 4-2 win over Dayton on Sunday she had the game-winning RBI, coming up with a two-run single in the second inning. She recorded a multi-hit game against Tennessee-Martin with two, extending her hitting streak to three games.
- With all six team Patriot League teams in action, Lehigh has jumped ahead with a 7-3 record, while Colgate at 4-3 is the other team with a winning record.
- Lehigh freshman pitcher Lisa Sweeney threw a no-hitter on Thursday in a 1-0 win over Maine. Sweeney recorded her third double-digit strikeout game of the season against the Black Knights with 12 and is now 3-1 on the year.
- Sweeney holds the New Jersey High School record for career strikeouts and already has 43 in her collegiate career in just five appearances.
- Colgate pitcher Kate Howard joins Sweeney as the only other pitcher with three wins thus far on the young season. Howard has 37 career wins and needs just three more to join the top-10 all-time in the Patriot League.
- Four players are hitting over .400, led by 2005 Patriot League Rookie of the Year, Lehigh's Kate Marvel, who owns a .448 batting average.
- Bucknell picked up its first win over the season with a 10-9 victory over George Washington in eight innings.
- A career stat to watch in the Patriot League this season is home runs. Bucknell senior Lauren Wible has 14 in her career, tied for seventh all-time, coming up with eight long balls last season. The all-time record of 39 home runs is held by former Colgate player Dorothy Donaldson (2002-05).
- Patriot League teams have a full slate this week with four of the six teams still competing at the Rebel Spring Games in Florida. Lafayette will play at both the Rebel Spring Games and at the Bash at the Beach Tournament, a tourney that Lehigh will be at as well. Holy Cross is off until Sunday, March 26.