Feb. 29, 2008
LEWISBURG, Pa. -
After having its doubleheader at UMBC canceled last weekend, the Bucknell softball is set to end a nearly two-week layoff this weekend when it travels to Columbia, S.C., for the South Carolina Gamecock Classic. The Bison will play host South Carolina and Gardner-Webb on both Saturday and Sunday.
Bucknell enters the weekend with a 1-4 record. South Carolina has won four of its last five games and is 7-8 overall, while Gardner-Webb is 6-8 and has lost five of its last six contests.
South Carolina Gamecock Classic Web Site
Includes live Gametracker statistics (free) and live radio and video broadcasts ($9.95)
Bucknell Softball Notebook
Bucknell Recently (1-4, 0-0 PL)
Longwood Lancer Leadoff Classic:
- Feb. 15: L, 12-7 vs. Eastern Michigan
- Feb. 15: L, 3-2 at Longwood
- Feb. 16: L, 1-0 vs. Eastern Michigan
- Feb. 17: W, 4-1 vs. Pittsburgh
- Feb. 17: L, 3-1 vs. Morehead State
- Bucknell opened its 30th season of softball two weeks ago at the Longwood Lancer Leadoff Classic. The Bison had a scheduled doubleheader at UMBC postponed last weekend. That twinbill is now slated to be played March 26.
- Bucknell opened its season on Friday, Feb. 15, the earliest date in program history. The starting date eclipsed the Feb. 17 opening day of the last two years by two days.
- Bucknell defeated Pittsburgh at the Longwood Classic for its first win of the 2008 campaign. The Panthers had defeated No. 16 Virginia Tech and No. 25 Missouri earlier in the year.
- Freshman Sam Rollandi
leads Bucknell in hitting through the first five games of the season with a .375 batting average. She has three hits in eight at bats, has two RBIs and one run scored.
- Four Bison started all five games at the Longwood Leadoff Classic: Ashley Beans, Ashley Carlson, Erin Curatola and Mary Pavlovich.
- Senior Christie Wiest went 1-2 with a 1.29 ERA at the Longwood Leadoff Classic. She hurled three complete games and yielded just 18 hits in 21.2 innings. The Centre Hall, Pa., native moved into fourth place on Bucknell's career games started list (68), seventh on the wins list (21) and has now accrued 400.1 innings pitched in her career to rank fifth in Bison history.
- All four of the teams Bucknell faced on its opening weekend of play were first-time opponents.
- Bucknell's team ERA of 3.82 is slightly better than last year's 3.88 figure.
Bucknell vs. South Carolina Classic Opponents
- Bucknell has never faced Gardner-Webb or South Carolina. The Bison have a total of 10 first-time opponents on their 2008 schedule.
- Bucknell will play its first doubleheaders of the season when it plays at George Washington and Drexel next weekend. The Bison will face the Colonials on Saturday, March 8, while their matchup with the Dragons will take place Sunday, March 9. Bucknell is 3-2 all-time against George Washington and 15-20 in 35 meetings with Drexel.
South Carolina Classic Schedule
Saturday, March 1
Bucknell vs. Gardner-Webb, 11 a.m. (Gametracker)
Bucknell vs. South Carolina, 1 p.m. (Gametracker - Live Audio - Live Video)
Sunday, March 2
Bucknell vs. Gardner-Webb, 10 a.m. (Gametracker)
Bucknell vs. South Carolina, 2 p.m. (Gametracker - Live Audio - Live Video)