Late Flurry Lifts Wake Forest Past Bucknell, 72-56

PATRIOTLEAGUEDOTORG Josh Linthicum had 11 points and 11 rebounds for his first career double-double against Wake Forest.
Josh Linthicum had 11 points and 11 rebounds for his first career double-double against Wake Forest.

Dec. 16, 2007

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Jeff Teague scored a career-high 16 points and Wake Forest broke open a tie game with 11 minutes to play with a 27-11 finish to defeat Bucknell 72-56 Sunday afternoon at Joel Coliseum. John Griffin scored 16 points and Josh Linthicum had his first double-double with career-highs 11 points and 11 rebounds for the Bison, who fell to 3-5 on the season.

Harvey Hale added 12 points and Ishmael Smith and L.D. Williams had 11 each for the Demon Deacons, who improved to 6-3.

Bucknell was held to 36.8 shooting, including 34.4 percent in the second half after a power outage during halftime extended the break period by an extra 25 minutes. The Bison made 9 of 28 3-point tries but struggled at the free-throw line, making only 5 of 12. Wake Forest shot 45.0 percent overall, despite 5-for-19 3-point shooting.

The Bison played the bigger Demon Deacons even for about 29 minutes, but Wake Forest's speed and athleticism took over late.

G.W. Boon's right-corner 3-pointer off an alert feed from Justin Castleberry at the end of the shot clock tied the game at 45 with 11:47 to play, but Wake Forest scored the next 10 points in a row to take control.

Smith banked in a runner, then after Josh Linthicum missed two free throws Smith drained a 3-pointer from the top of the arc. Two L.D. Williams free throws and a Teague 3-pointer after an offensive rebound on a missed free throw made it 55-45 with 8:19 to play.

Bucknell closed within seven on a Griffin 3-pointer with 6:06 left, but the Demon Deacons kept the Bison at bay with hard work on the offensive glass. At the 4:47 mark Jamie Skeen had a offensive rebound deflected right into his hands under the hoop for a layup and foul. After a Linthicum follow, James Johnson soared for a follow jam off a Hale miss to restore the 10-point lead. Moments later Johnson gathered in a long rebound off a Griffin missed 3-pointer and dunked again to make it 66-54 with 3:45 to play.



There were nine lead changes in the first nine minutes of the game before Wake Forest pieced together the first extended run of the game. Trailing 13-12 after a pair of Darryl Shazier free throws, Teague's layup kicked off a 15-5 run for the Demon Deacons. Later Teague picked Shazier's pocket near midcourt and scored on a breakaway layup, and Ishmael Smith completed the run with a fastbreak layup, giving Wake Forest a nine-point lead at 27-18 with 6:05 left in the half.

Bucknell fired back with 10 straight points to regain the lead. Boon bookended the flurry with a pair of 3-pointers, and Castleberry and Patrick Behan also scored to help give the Bison a 28-27 lead with 2:37 left in the half.

With a minute to play, Teague hit a trey from the top of the key for his ninth point of the half, giving Wake Forest a slim 30-28 lead heading into the extended intermission.

Bucknell assistant coach Mark Prosser received a standing ovation when his name was announced during pregame introductions. Prosser's father, Skip Prosser, was the head coach at Wake Forest until he died suddenly of a heart attack in July.

Boon finished with nine points and Castleberry had seven points, four rebounds and a career-high five assists for the Bison.

Bucknell returns to action on Wednesday at home against Cornell. Tip-off is 7 p.m. at Sojka Pavilion.