Feb. 25, 2010
LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell baseball team will be in search of its first win when it travels to Old Dominion for a four-game series this weekend. The series will commence Friday with a single game (3 p.m.), continue Saturday with a doubleheader (1 p.m.) and wrap up with another single contest on Sunday (1 p.m.). The Bison are coming off an 0-3 opening weekend against VMI, while the Monarchs are 3-1 on the young season.
Old Dominion will be providing live GameTracker coverage of this weekend's series. Visit the Bucknell Baseball schedule page for links to the live statistics.
• Bucknell opened its 2010 season last weekend against VMI and lost all three contests. The series was played at Prince George High School in Prince George, Va., as the Keydets’ home field was unplayable. The Bison scored first in all three contests, but were unable to hold onto the early leads.
• B.J. LaRosa and Andrew Brouse each have had at least one hit in each of Bucknell’s first three games. Ben Yoder and Doug Shribman each have two-game hitting streaks.
• Matt Lamore hit Bucknell’s only home run vs. VMI. It was the sophomore’s first career hit and it came in the sixth inning of game one of last Saturday’s doubleheader.
• Bucknell’s bullpen logged 8.2 innings and yielded just four earned runs (4.15 ERA). The three Bison starters combined for a 10.80 ERA.
• Seven Bison started all three games last weekend.
• Senior catcher B.J. LaRosa leads the Bison in hitting with a .500 average. He has two multi-hit games already this year after registering 11 all last season.
• Bucknell was 0-for-6 vs. left-handed pitchers last weekend.
• Bucknell’s pitchers walked just five VMI hitters on opening weekend.
• Bucknell is 0-3 so far this year, but it has not earned a win in its first four games of a season since 2004 when it split an opening-day doubleheader with James Madison. Since then, the Bison have started 0-9 (2005), 0-4 (2006), 0-4 (2007), 0-2-2 (2008) and 0-7 (2009).
Bucknell vs. Old Dominion
• Bucknell is 0-1 all-time against Old Dominion. The only time the teams met was in 1989 and the Monarchs posted a 7-0 victory in Norfolk, Va.
About Old Dominion
• Old Dominion is 3-1 this year, having outscored its opponents 28-23. The Monarchs swept a three-game weekend series from Fordham and then lost to East Carolina 11-2 in a road contest on Tuesday.
• Old Dominion is hitting just .226 as a team, but 11 of its 26 hits are for extra bases.
• Bucknell will head south for a third consecutive weekend next weekend when it participates in the Elon Tournament in Elon, N.C. The three-day event will run March 5-7 with the Bison taking on Elon, Radford and Princeton.