April 9, 2008
Bison Outdoor Classic - Schedule of Events
LEWISBURG, Pa. - After two weekends on the road, the Bucknell men's and women's track and field teams are scheduled to host the Bison Outdoor Classic this weekend, April 11-12, at Christy Mathewson-Memorial Stadium. Bucknell is coming off a weekend where athletes were sent to both the Auburn Tiger Track Classic and Princeton's Sam Howell Invitational.
The Outdoor Classic will be one of the biggest meets in the country this weekend, with over 50 schools competing in the distance events on Friday night. Friday's events will begin at 3 p.m. with the decathlon 100-meter dash and the women's hammer throw. Track distance events will begin at 5 p.m. with two heats of the women's 3,000-meter steeplechase.
On Saturday, Bucknell will welcome 13 visiting teams: Detroit Mercy, Yale, Cornell, American, Lehigh, Lafayette, Colgate, St. Francis (Pa.), Brockport State, Cortland State, Susquehanna, Muhlenberg and Duquesne. Saturday's events will begin at 9 a.m. with the decathlon 110-meter hurdles. Field events will start with the women's shot put at 10 a.m. and track events are set to begin at 10:30 a.m. with the women's 10,000-meter run.
A complete schedule for the Bison Outdoor Classic is available at www.BucknellBison.com, where results will also be updated at the conclusion of each day's events. Heat Sheets will also be posted on the sidebar of the men's and women's track and field page.
Bucknell Men's Track and Field Notebook
At the Auburn Tiger Track Classic, April 4-5 -
- Sophomore Kyle Anthony (Barryville, N.Y./Eldred Central) took fifth in the triple jump with an IC4A-qualiying mark of 48-8 ¾ and went on to finish 14th with a distance of 22-2 ¼ in the long jump.
- Junior Kerry Boyle (Hazleton, Pa./Hazleton) qualified for IC4As in the 400-meter dash with a time of 47.77 and a sixth-place finish. Boyle was also the top finisher for Bucknell in the 200-meter dash. He placed 39th with a time of 22.70.
- Junior Kevin Macleod (East Longmeadow, Mass./East Longmeadow) qualified for IC4As in the 400-meter hurdles. He placed 10th with a time of 53.49.
- Bucknell's 4x400 relay team of freshman Guy Castranova (Trenton, N.J./Notre Dame), Boyle, MacLeod and Anthony finished eighth with an IC4A-qualifying time of 3:16.20.
- Other finishers for Bucknell included senior Wallace Campbell (Montgomery, Ala./Montgomery Acad.) in the 1,500-meter run; he finished seventh with a time of 3:52.85. Freshman Drew Fitzgerald (Ballston Spa, Pa./Ballston Spa) placed fifth with a height of 6-3 ½ in the high jump and went on to place ninth in the pole vault with a mark of 15-1, while senior James Meyer (Pacific Palisades, Calif./Pacific Palisades) took 11th in the hammer throw with a distance of165-10.
At the Princeton Sam Howell Invitational, April 4-5 -
- In the 1,500-meter run, sophomore Kyle Ramer
(Landisville, Pa./Hempfield) took second with a time of 3:59.65, while junior Clinton Orloski
(Butler, Pa./Slippery Rock) followed in third with a time of 4:00.35.
- Senior Brian Mooney
(Rochester, NY/Gates-Chili) led the Bison in the 800-meter run, placing seventh in 1:55.17.
- Other top finishers for Bucknell included sophomore Thomas Vogler
(Oneonta, N.Y./Oneonta) taking 18th in the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 58.18. In the 110-meter hurdles, sophomore Ryan White
(Elkins Park, Pa./Father Judge) took seventh, stopping the clock at 15.67. Additionally, sophomore Conor McNamara
(Baldwin, N.Y./Chaminade) took 13th in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 4:01.41
- In field events, freshman Nicholas Hruch
(Sykesville, Md./Liberty) posted a height of 6-4 ¾ for fourth in the high jump, while freshman Daniel Kubinski
(Erie, Pa./Cathedral Preparatory School) led the way with a fourth-place finish in the triple jump (45-1/2). Additionally, freshman Michael Deatherage
(Montclair, N.J./Montclair Kimberly Academy) took sixth in the javelin (181-11).
IC4A-Qualifying Marks (Outdoor 2008) -
- Kyle Anthony: Triple Jump (48-8 ¾, Auburn Classic)
- Andrew Yehl: 110-Meter Hurdles (14.79, Maryland Invitational)
- Kerry Boyle: 400-Meter Dash (47.77, Auburn Classic)
- Kevin Macleod: 400-Meter Hurdles (53.49, Auburn Classic)
- Kerry Boyle, Guy Castranova, Clement Gyan, Kevin Macleod: 4x400 Relay (3:14.76, Maryland Invitational)
- Guy Castranova, Kerry Boyle, Kevin Macleod, Kyle Anthony: 4x400 Relay (3:16.20, Auburn Classic)
New Bison Top-10 Marks (Outdoor 2008) -
- 110-Meter Hurdles: Andrew Yehl (14.79, 5th, Maryland Invitational)
- High Jump - Drew Fitzgerald (6-6, 10th, Maryland Invitational)
- Hammer Throw - James Meyer (168-9, 8th, Maryland Invitational)
- 4x400 Relay: Kerry Boyle, Guy Castranova, Clement Gyan, Kevin Macleod (3:14.76, 2nd, Maryland Invitational)
2008 Outdoor Honors -
- Patriot League Preseason Poll: Bucknell (3rd, 81 points, two first-place votes)
Looking Ahead -
- Up next, the Orange and Blue will host the Bucknell Team Challenge, April 19.
- Bucknell will send athletes to the Penn Relays, April 24-26, and to the Shippensburg Invitational, April 26, before heading to the Patriot League Outdoor Championships, hosted by Navy in Annapolis, Md., May 2-3.
- The ECAC and IC4A Championships are set for May 16-18, in Princeton, N.J. The NCAA East Regional Championships are scheduled for May 30-31, and the NCAA Championships will take place June 11-14, in Des Moines, Iowa.