Oct. 11, 2007
LEWISBURG, Pa. - The Bucknell men's tennis team is set to travel to Hamden, Conn., to play in the Quinnipiac Invitational this weekend, Oct. 12 - 14. The Bison are coming off a weekend at home, hosting UConn, Quinnipiac, and NJIT for the Bucknell Invitational. In the round robin tournament, the Bison won five singles flights and one doubles flight on the men's side.
Bison Tennis Notebook
At the Bucknell Invitational Last Weekend -
- Senior Ira Reibeisen (Armonk, N.Y./Rye Country Day-Upper School) won Flight 1 singles, picking up three wins for the weekend. He defeated Quinnipiac's John Hughes (7-5, 2-6, 10-4), NJIT's Steve Erikson (6-4, 6-4) and UConn's Joe Goldstein (6-4, 6-2).
- In No. 4 singles, sophomore Zach Hascoe (Greenwich, Conn./Brunswick) finished at the top of the flight, with wins over Anthony Tunnero of NJIT (6-3, 6-2), Andrew Marcus of UConn (5-7, 6-4, 10-5) and Charlie Feldman of Quinnipiac (6-3, 6-3).
- Freshman Mark Malloy (Bronxville, N.Y./Hackley School) won Flight 5 singles after defeating Christian Malerba of UConn (6-0, 7-6), Ramy Lawandy of NJIT (6-2, 6-0) and Tom Curren of Quinnipiac (6-0, 2-0).
- Senior Ben Young (New Canaan, Conn./New Canaan) went 6-0, 6-0, over Sidharth Verma (NJIT), 6-4, 4-6, 12-10 over Aaron Ribchinsky (UConn) and 6-1, 6-3 over Vinny Corvari of Quinnipiac to win Flight 7.
- Junior Daniel Bednarek (Haworth, N.J./Bergen Catholic) defeated Dillon Kraus of Quinnipiac (6-0, 7-5), Doug Zytko of NJIT (6-1, 6-1) and Mike Bobitski of UConn (6-0, 6-3) to finish first for Flight 8.
- In doubles action, junior Ryan Sandburg (Orange, Calif./Canyon) and junior Jonathan Brenner (Manhasset, N.Y./Chaminade) picked up three victories to win Flight 1. The pair defeated John Hughes and Charlie Feldman of Quinnipiac (8-4), Joe Schueler and Joe Goldstein of UConn (8-6) and Cosmin Chiujdea and Anthony Tunnero of NJIT, 8-3.
The Bison Men in 2007 -
- Reibeisen has tallied new all-time records for Bucknell in combined, singles and doubles career victories. After the Bucknell Invitational, Reibeisen holds a 64-43 career singles record, 54-47 career doubles record and 118-92 career combined record.
- Bucknell's No. 1 singles player, Reibeisen, holds a 7-4 record for the season, 5-3 while playing Flight 1.
- Sandburg owns a 6-3 singles record for the season, 4-3, while playing in Flight 2. Sandburg is just two wins shy of Reibeisen in career doubles victories.
- In doubles, Brenner and Sandburg hold an 11-2 record on the season and a 8-2 record in Flight 1 play, after going undefeated this past weekend.
Bison Honors in 2007 -
- Reibeisen received an honorable mention for Patriot League Male Player of the Month on Oct. 3 for setting Bucknell all-time records for combined victories (113) and singles victories (61) after the UConn Invitational, Sept. 28-30.
Looking Ahead -
- Following the Quinnipiac Invitational, the Bison will prepare for the ITA Regionals, Oct. 18 - 20 in Princeton, N.J.