From Boston University Athletic Communications
May 10, 2014
CORAL GABLES, Fla. - Making its 14th NCAA tournament appearance, the Boston University women's tennis team was eliminated by No. 12 Miami, 4-0, on Friday afternoon at Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The host Hurricanes improved to 20-5 while the Terriers ended their season at 14-7.
Miami collected the doubles point after victories in the No. 2 and No. 3 slots. Senior Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis and sophomore Johanna Hyoty hung tough with the No. 8 pairing of Monique Albuquerque and Clementina Riobueno before their match was halted.
The Terriers received strong efforts from freshman Barbara Rodriguez and sophomore Kim McCallum in the No. 4 and No. 5 slots, respectively. After a hard-fought loss in the first set (3-6), Rodriguez battled back and led the second set, 3-2, before the match was halted. McCallum also played two closely contested sets, dropping the first one, 4-6, and only trailing by two, 2-4, in the second set before the completion of play. The Hurricanes won singles matches in the No. 1, No. 3 and No. 6 slots.
Athanasiadis concluded her terrific collegiate career as a four-time All-Conference honoree. She will be the lone departing player from the six Terriers that competed on Friday. BU will return the 2014 Patriot League Player of the Year (Hyoty) as well as an All-Patriot League First Team selection in Davis.
1. No. 29 Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. Johanna Hyoty (BU): 6-2 6-1
2. Clementina Riobueno (UM) led Lauren Davis (BU): 6-1, 4-1, unfinished
3. No. 90 Lina Lileikite (UM) def. Leonie-Charlotte Athanasiadis (BU): 6-1, 6-2
4. Melissa Bolivar (UM) led Barbara Rodriguez (BU): 6-3, 2-3, unfinished
5. Monique Albuquerque (UM) led Kim McCallum (BU): 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
6. Brittany Dubins (UM) def. Madison Craft (BU): 6-1, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 1, 2 (DNF), 4 (DNF), 5 (DNF)
1. No. 8 Albuquerque/Riobueno(UM) led Hyoty/Athanasiadis (BU): 6-0
2. Bolivar/Dubins (UM) def. Davis/Rodriguez (BU): 8-0
3. Lileikite/Wagner (UM) def. McCallum/Craft (BU): 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1