Navy freshman Calvin Mark was presented with the Tournament MVP trophy by Navy Director of Athletics Chet Gladchuk.
April 29, 2012
ANNAPOLIS, Md. - No. 1 seed Navy won the doubles point and earned three singles victories en route to a 4-1 decision Sunday over defending champion Army to capture the 2012 Patriot League Men's Tennis Championship at the United States Naval Academy Tennis Courts.
The Mids capture their ninth men's tennis championship and fifth in the last six years. Army, which has appeared in 10 consecutive title matches, holds the record for the most titles with 10.
Navy freshman Calvin Mark, who was victorious at No. 2 singles to clinch the match, was named the Joe Abrahamson Tournament Most Valuable Player.
The Mids jumped out to a 1-0 lead after winning two of the three doubles matches. Mark and Peter McDonald were 8-6 winners at No. 1 over Asika Isoh and Henry Jang-Milsten. The Black Knights replied with an 8-6 victory at the second flight when Peter Sienko and Alex Van Velzer defeated Tyler Burnett and Marcus Rebersak. Navy's 8-5 victory at No. 3, provided by Blake Daniel and Nicholas Gutsche over Alex Holland and Rashad Shelton, earned the first point for the Mids.
McDonald earned a straight-set 6-1, 6-2 victory over Holland at third singles to put the Mids up 2-0. The lead ballooned to 3-0 when Daniel defeated Jang-Milsten 6-2, 6-3.
Army got on the board thanks to Rommel Verano's 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 5 singles over Gutsche. But the Black Knights couldn't keep the momentum going, as Mark logged a 6-4, 6-2 win over Van Velzer at the second singles flight to clinch the championship for Navy.
Rebersak and Isoh were knotted at one set apiece at No. 1 singles, while Burnett and Sienko were in a first-set tiebreaker when the match was wrapped up.
Navy will learn its NCAA Tournament destination Tuesday at 5:30 p.m. when the brackets are announced on NCAA.com.
1. Rebersak, Marcus (NAVY) vs. Isoh, Asika (ARMY) 2-6, 6-1, unfinished
2. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Van Velzer, Alex (ARMY) 6-4, 6-2
3. McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Holland, Alex (ARMY) 6-1, 6-2
4. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Jang-Milsten, Henry (ARMY) 6-2, 6-3
5. Verano, Rommel (ARMY) def. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) 6-1, 6-3
6. Burnett, Tyler (NAVY) vs. Sienko, Peter (ARMY) 6-6 (3-2), unfinished
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 5, 2
1. Mark, Calvin/McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Isoh, Asika/Jang-Milsten, Henry (ARMY) 8-6
2. Sienko, Peter/Van Velzer, Alex (ARMY) def. Burnett, Tyler/Rebersak, Marcus (NAVY) 8-6
3. Daniel, Blake/Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Holland, Alex/Shelton, Rashad (ARMY) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3