Henry Jang-Milsten and Army moved forward to the semifinals of the Patriot League Men's Tennis Tournament with a 4-0 victory over Lafayette.
April 28, 2012
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The three higher seeds all won quarterfinal contests Friday in the 2012 Patriot League Men’s Tennis Tournament, which took place indoors at the Tose Family Tennis Center at the United States Naval Academy.
Saturday’s semifinal matches are set to begin at 10 a.m., with top-seeded and host Navy taking on No. 4 Bucknell. No. 2 seed Lehigh is scheduled to battle defending champion Army at 2 p.m. The Black Knights are the defending champions.
Two of the three matches Friday ended with scores of 4-0. The one exception was the No. 4 vs. 5 match, with Bucknell coming out on top 4-1.
No. 4 Bucknell 4, No. 5 Colgate 1
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Fourth-seeded Bucknell advanced to the semifinals of the 2012 Patriot League Men’s Tennis Tournament with a 4-1 victory over No. 5 Colgate Friday in the first of three quarterfinal contests in the bracket.
The Bison advance to take on No. 1 seed Navy in the first of two semifinals Saturday in Annapolis. The Mids earned a quarterfinal bye as the top seed. The match is set for 10 a.m.
Colgate opened the match with strong momentum after capturing the doubles point. Luke Gensburg and Sean Spellberg defeated Joshn Katten and Evan Zimmer 8-5 at No. 2 doubles, while Alec Goldstein and Parker Lewis wrapped up the critical first point for the Raiders with an 8-5 win over Gregg Cohenca and Aiden Lynch at the top flight.
Kelly Morque put Bucknell on the board with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Spellberg and fourth singles. Bucknell went up 2-1 after Zimmer’s 6-1, 6-4 triumph over Bobby Berkowitz at No. 2 singles.
The Bison earned another straight sets victory at No. 6 singles, with Gregory Maxson defeating Connor Feuille by a score of 6-4, 6-1.
The only match to finish that required three sets occurred at No. 1 singles. Cohenca won the first set 6-3 before dropping the second to Gensburg, 3-6. Cohenca came back strong in the third and final frame, posting a 6-0 score to clinch the match.
1. Goldstein/Parker Lewis (Colgate) def. Cohenca/Aiden Lynch (Bucknell) 8-5
2. Gensburg/Spellberg (Colgate) def. Katten/Zimmer (Bucknell) 8-5
3. Bernstein/Morque (Bucknell) leading Berkowitz/Harry Jewett (Colgate) 7-6 DNF
Order of Finish: 2, 1
1. Gregg Cohenca (Bucknell) def. Luke Gensburg (Colgate) 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
2. Evan Zimmer (Bucknell) def. Bobby Berkowitz (Colgate) 6-1, 6-4
3. Josh Katten (Bucknell) vs. Alec Goldstein (Colgate) 6-4, 4-6, 1-4 DNF
4. Kelly Morque (Bucknell) def. Sean Spellberg (Colgate) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jon DeFranchese (Bucknell) vs. Alan Pleat (Colgate) 2-6, 6-3, 0-3 DNF
6. Gregory Maxson (Bucknell) def. Connor Feuille (Colgate) 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 6, 1
No. 2 Lehigh 4, No. 7 Holy Cross 0
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Second-seeded Lehigh took a step toward returning to the Patriot League championship match with a 4-0 victory over No. 7 Holy Cross Friday in the quarterfinals of the League Tournament at the Tose Family Tennis Center.
The Mountain Hawks, who advanced to the championship match last year for the first time in program history since the current team format was adopted in 1994, was dominant in its showing against the Crusaders. Mark Goldberg and Michell Petersen logged an 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles over Scot Brownell and Tim Regan, while Timur Chernykh and Andrew Krentz were 8-2 winners at third doubles against Chris Brosnan and A.J. Shekar.
Lehigh swept its way to victory by posting three singles victories all by the same 6-0, 6-1 score. Krentz, Daniel Goldblum and Edgars Rauza were victors at Nos. 4, 5 and 6 over Regan, Brosnan and Brownell, respectively.
The Mountain Hawks will face off with third-seeded Army in the second of two semifinals Saturday in Annapolis. Lehigh defeated the defending champion Black Knights 5-2 during the regular season.
1. Gilman, Benjamin (LEHIGH) vs. Berrettini, Nick (HC) 6-0, 1-0, unfinished
2. Petersen, Mitchell (LEHIGH) vs. Sullivan, Ryan (HC) 6-0, 1-1, unfinished
3. Savran, Matt (LEHIGH) vs. Das, Chris (HC) 6-0, 3-0, unfinished
4. Krentz, Andrew (LEHIGH) def. Regan, Tim (HC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Goldblum, Daniel (LEHIGH) def. Brosnan, Chris (HC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Rauza, Edgars (LEHIGH) def. Brownell, Scot (HC) 6-0, 6-1
Doubles 1. Gilman, Benjamin/Savran, Matt (LEHIGH) vs. Berrettini, Nick/Sullivan, Ryan (HC) 4-2, unfinished
2. Goldberg, Mark/Petersen, Mitchell (LEHIGH) def. Brownell, Scot/Regan, Tim (HC) 8-1
3. Chernykh, Timur/Krentz, Andrew (LEHIGH) def. Brosnan, Chris/Shekar, Ajeya (HC) 8-2
No. 3 Army 4, No. 6 Lafayette 0
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Defending Patriot League champion Army, the third seed in this year’s tournament, logged a 4-0 triumph over No. 6 seed Lafayette Friday in the quarterfinals of the 2012 Patriot League Men’s Tennis Tournament.
Peter Sienko and Alex Van Velzer won 8-1 over Scott Gelbman and Will Mercorella at No. 2 doubles, while Asika Isoh and Henry Jang-Milsten were 8-3 winners over Doug Gallagher and Andrew Morris at No. 1.
After collecting the critical doubles point, the Black Knights went to work in singles competition. Sienko logged his second victory of the day with a 6-1, 6-0 straight-sets win over Morris at No. 5. Jang-Milsten was a 6-2, 6-2 winner against James Oliver, while Rashad Shelton clinched the semifinal berth for the Black Knights thanks to a 6-1, 6-3 win over Gelbman at No. 6 singles.
Army was also up a set at the top three singles flights.
Army takes on No. 2 Lehigh in the semifinals Saturday at 2 p.m.
1. Isoh, Asika (ARMY) vs. Gallagher, Doug (LAF) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
2. Van Velzer, Alex (ARMY) vs. Goldstein, Brandon (LAF) 7-6 (7-4), 4-3, unfinished
3. Holland, Alex (ARMY) vs. Mercorella, Will (LAF) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
4. Jang-Milsten, Henry (ARMY) def. Oliver, James (LAF) 6-2, 6-2
5. Sienko, Peter (ARMY) def. Morris, Andrew (LAF) 6-1, 6-0
6. Shelton, Rashad (ARMY) def. Gelbman, Scott (LAF) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6
1. Isoh, Asika/Jang-Milsten, Henry (ARMY) def. Gallagher, Doug/Morris, Andrew (LAF) 8-3
2. Sienko, Peter/Van Velzer, Alex (ARMY) def. Gelbman, Scott/Mercorella, Will (LAF) 8-1
3. Holland, Alex/Verano, Rommel (ARMY) vs. Goldstein, Brandon/Oliver, James (LAF) 6-6, unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 1