April 26, 2014
Patriot League Men's Tennis Tournament Central
WEST POINT, N.Y. - An Army-Navy meeting in the Patriot League Men's Tennis postseason is becoming a nearly annual event. The two teams will square off for the seventh time in eight years in the league tournament when they get together at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Malek Tennis Courts with an NCAA tournament berth on the line.
Overnight rains forced the 10 a.m. semifinal match between the top-seeded Black Knights and No. 4 Lehigh indoors to the Lichtenberg Tennis Center. Army started fast, but had to withstand a strong push from Lehigh in the latter stages of a 4-1 victory.
After earning the doubles point, the Black Knights won the first set in all six singles matches. Lehigh battled back to turn the tables in four of the six matches setting the stage for a trio of three-set finishes.
Alex Van Velzer and Grant Reichmann secured two more points for the hosts with wins at No. 5 and No. 3 singles, respectively. The Mountain Hawks earned a team point when Ben Gilman rallied for a 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 win over Sam Lampman at No. 2 singles.
The Lehigh rally ended when Army's Caison Best earned the decisive point with a 6-3, 1-6, 6-4 win over Jeremy Kochman at No. 4 singles.
The battle between No. 2 Boston University and No. 3 Navy went even deeper and longer than the morning semifinal. After the Terriers won two of three doubles matches outdoors at Malek Tennis Courts, play was again moved in to the Lichtenberg Tennis Center early in singles play when weather interfered.
After Navy tied the team score at 1-1 with a 6-0, 6-3 win by Blake Daniel at No. 4 singles, the Terriers moved to within a point of closing out the match with wins by Jay Leelavanich and Lucas Bombonatti at No. 6 and No. 5 singles, respectively.
Wins by the Mids Calvin Mark at No. 1 singles and Thomas Pecor at No. 3 singles tied the score at 3-3 before Austin Jones swung the match in Navy's favor with a 7-6, 6-2 win over Jesse Frieder at No. 2 singles.
Army won a hard-fought 4-3 victory over Navy on April 12. The Mids won the doubles point before the Black Knights battled back to win four of six in singles play.
ARMY 4, LEHIGH 1
1. Asika Isoh/Alex Van Velzer (A) led Mark Goldberg/Mitchell Petersen (L) 5-2 (DNF).
2. Sam Lampman/Grant Riechmann (A) def. Ben Gilman/Jeremy Kochman (L) 8-5.
3. Kyle Barnes/Austin McCasin (A) def. Tyler Hansen/Timur Chernykh (L) 8-6.
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1 (DNF).
1. Asika Isoh (A) led Mark Goldberg (L) 6-4, 4-6, 2-1 (DNF).
2. Ben Gilman (L) def. Sam Lampman (A) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2.
3. Grant Riechmann (A) def. Mitchell Petersen (L) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6).
4. Caison Best (A) def. Jeremy Kochman (L) 6-3, 1-6, 6-4.
5. Alex Van Velzer (A) def. Tyler Hansen (L) 6-0, 6-3.
6. Timur Chernykh (L) led Kyle Barnes (A) 4-6, 6-3, 5-4 (DNF).
Order of finish: 5, 3, 2, 4, 6 (DNF), 1 (DNF).
NAVY 4, BOSTON UNIVERSITY 3
1. Chanon Varapongsittikul/Jesse Frieder (B) def. Austin Jones/Thomas Pecor (N) 8-5.
2. Stefan Lemire/Mario Sandoval (B) def. Calvin Mark/Blake Daniel (N) 8-3.
3. Krishna Jana/Alex Gaines (N) def. Jay Leelavanich/Jake De Vries (B) 8-5.
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1.
1. Calvin Mark (N) def. Chanon Varapongsittikul (B) 6-3, 6-4.
2. Austin Jones (N) def. Jesse Frieder (B) 7-6, 6-2.
3. Thomas Pecor (N) def. Stefan Lemire (B) 6-3, 6-4.
4. Blake Daniel (N) def. Mario Sandoval (B) 6-0, 6-3.
5. Lucas Bombonatti (B) def. Krishna Jana (N) 7-6, 6-2.
6. Jay Leelavanich (B) def. Tyler Tossavainen (N) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 6, 5, 1, 3, 2.