APRIL 24, 2014
Patriot League Men's Tennis Tournament Central
WEST POINT, N.Y. - High winds moved the first round of the Patriot League Men's Tennis Tournament indoors to Army's Lichtenberg Tennis Center where Lafayette and Holy Cross kick-started the four-day event with a first round match.
The Leopards Jake Lazer had a hand on earning two points as he teamed with Brian Pinkard for an 8-0 win over Chris Brosnan and Rob Buetti at No. 2 doubles as Lafayette earned the doubles point and then closed out the afternoon action with a 6-3, 6-0 win over the Crusaders' at No. 4 singles to clinch the winning point.
Chris Matturi and Gavin Studner also earned team points with wins at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively. The Leopards tandem of Brandon Goldstein and Brian Stefanowicz also won 8-0 at No. 1 doubles.
Lafayette advances to Friday's quarterfinal round with a 9 a.m. match against tournament host and No. 1 seed Army. No. 4 Lehigh and No. 5 Colgate will square off in the other morning match scheduled for 11 a.m.
In the lower half of the bracket, No. 2 Boston University meets No. 7 Loyola at 2 p.m. and No. 3 Navy will face No. 6 Bucknell at 4 p.m. to close out a full day of tennis action.
Weather permitting, the remainder of the tournament will be contested outdoors on Army's Malek Tennis Courts. The semifinals are scheduled for 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Saturday with final to be held at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
The winner of the Patriot League Championship will earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Men's Tennis Tournament scheduled to begin on May 15 in Athens, Ga.
LAFAYETTE 4, HOLY CROSS 0
1. Brandon Goldstein/Brian Stefanowicz, L, def. Ryan Sullivan/Jimmy Ye 8-0.
2. Brian Pinkard/Jake Lazer, L, def. Chris Brosnan/Rob Buetti 8-0.
3. Chris Matturi/Gavin Studner, L, led Pat O'Shea/Elmar Lutz 6-1, DNF.
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3 (DNF).
1. Brandon Goldstein, L, led Ryan Sullivan 6-0, 5-1, DNF.
2. Brian Pinkard, L, led Chris Brosnan 6-3, 3-0, DNF.
3. Brian Stefanowicz, L, led Jimmy Ye 6-1, 2-1, DNF.
4. Jake Lazer, L, def. Pat O'Shea 6-3, 6-0.
5. Chris Matturri, L, def. Brandon Ynayan 6-0, 6-2.
6. Gavin Studner, L, def. Rob Buetti 6-3, 6-1.
Order of finish: 6, 5, 4, 1 (DNF), 3 (DNF), 2 (DNF).