April 21, 2013
2013 Patriot League Men's Tennis Championship Central
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Lehigh secured the doubles point and won three straight singles contests to post a 4-0 win over Navy and capture the 2013 Patriot League Men's Tennis Championship at Drumlins Country Club in Syracuse, N.Y., on Sunday afternoon.
It's the first championship in program history for the Mountain Hawks (18-5), who will advance to the NCAA Men's Tennis Championship. Seeds and first-round matchups will be announced Tuesday, April 30 on NCAA.com.
Navy ends its season at 17-12.
Matt Savran was named Tournament Most Valuable Player. He was tied at one set apiece with Navy's Blake Daniel at No. 4 singles, and had taken a 2-0 lead in the third and decisive frame when the Mountain Hawks clinched. Savran won four matches in the quarterfinals and semifinals, and was part of Lehigh's victorious tandem at No. 2 with Jeremy Kachman that gave the Mountain Hawks the critical early doubles point in Saturday's 4-3 semifinal victory over Bucknell.
All six winners in the tournament started off by capturing the doubles point. The Mountain Hawks moved ahead 1-0 with Ben Gilman and Andrew Krentz taking the third doubles match 8-6 over Navy's Austin Jones and Alex Gaines. The teams split the first two, with Lehigh's Mark Goldberg and Mitchell Peterson winning a 9-8 (5) battle at No. 1 over Calvin Mark and Peter McDonald. Navy took the win at No. 2, with Blake Daniel and Nicholas Gutsche earning an 8-5 triumph over Savran and Kachman.
Lehigh's lead moved to 2-0 when Goldberg defeated Mark 6-4, 6-2 at No. 1 singles. Timr Chernykh, who won the clinching singles match against Bucknell on Saturday, came up with another clutch victory when he defeated Gaines 6-4, 7-6 (5) at No. 6. The Mountain Hawks clinched on Gilman's 6-4, 7-5 victory over McDonald at the No. 2 flight.
Gutsche was up a set and leading 5-3 at No. 5 over Krentz, and Jones had a one-set lead on Peterson at No. 3 when the match wrapped up.
No. 2 Lehigh 4, No. 4 Navy 0
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Mark Goldberg/Mitchell Petersen (LEH) def. Calvin Mark/Peter McDonald (NAVY), 9-8 (7-5)
2. Blake Daniel/Nicholas Gutsche (NAVY) def. Matthew Savran/Jeremy Kachman(LEH), 8-5
3. Ben Gilman/Andrew Krentz (LEH) def. Austin Jones/Alex Gaines (NAVY), 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 2
1. Mark Goldberg (LEH) def. Calvin Mark (NAVY), 6-4, 6-2
2. Ben Gilman (LEH) def. Peter McDonald (NAVY), L, 6-4, 7-5
3. Austin Jones (NAVY) vs. Mitchell Petersen (LEH) 7-6, 0-3 DNF
4. Matthew Savran (LEH) vs. Blake Daniel (NAVY), 3-6, 6-4, 2-0 DNF
5. Nicholas Gutsche (NAVY) vs. Andrew Krentz (LEH) 6-1, 5-3 DNF
6. Timur Chernykh (LEH) def. Alex Gaines (NAVY), 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)