April 20, 2014
Patriot League Women's Tennis Tournament Central
LEWISBURG, Pa. - Nine-time defending champion Army captured two of three doubles matches to earn the doubles point, but Boston University rallied to win four consecutive singles matches for a 4-1 victory in the 2014 Patriot League Women's Tennis Championships at Bucknell University's Varsity Courts.
The Terriers Johanna Hyoty, the reigning Patriot League Women's Tennis Player of the Month for March, was selected as the John "Pat" Rooney Award winner as the tournament MVP. Hyoty was a 6-2, 6-1 winner over Army's Jamila Paul at No. 1 singles.
Leonie-Charlotte Athanaisiadis started the Boston University rally with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Gabriella Spindler at No. 3 singles followed by Hyoty's win at No. 1 singles. Kim McCallum put the Terriers within a point of closing out the match with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Nancy Porter at No. 6 singles.
Boston University was able to celebrate its first women's tennis tournament title as a member of the Patriot League when Lauren Davis clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Carolyn Pittman at No. 2 singles.
Army started the title match in strong fashion as Paul and Pittman defeated Davis and Barbara Rodriguez at No.2 doubles and Della Taylor and Elle Taylor beat Hyoty and Athanaisiadis at No. 1 singles to put the Black Knights in front 1-0 heading in to the singles matches.
The Terriers proved to be too tough in the singles portion of the event, however, and ended Army's nine-year run as Patriot League champions.
Boston University advances to the NCAA Division I Women's Tennis tournament that begins on May 15 in Athens, Ga. The Terriers will learn their first round opponent during the NCAA selection show on Tuesday, April 29.
BOSTON UNIVERSITY 4, ARMY 1
1. Johanna Hyoty, BU, def. Jamila Paul 6-2, 6-1.
2. Lauren Davis, BU, def. Carolyn Pittman 6-2, 6-1.
3. Leonie-Charlotte Athanaisiadis, BU, def. Gabriella Spindler 6-1, 6-1.
4. Sami Lieb, BU, led Della Taylor 6-2, 4-5, DNF.
5. Barbara Rodriguez, BU, led Elle Taylor 6-3, 3-2, DNF.
6. Kim McCallum, BU, def. Nancy Porter 6-3, 6-4.
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 6, 2, 4 (DNF), 5 (DNF).
1. D. Taylor/E. Taylor, Army, def. Hyoty/Athanaisiadis 8-4.
2. Paul/Pittman, Army, def. Davis/Rodriguez 8-2.
3. McCallum/Madison Craft, BU, def. Porter/Maya Parker 8-1.
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1.