April 17, 2014
Patriot League Women's Tennis Tournament Central
Patriot League Women's Tennis Championship Preview
LEWISBURG, Pa. - Lafayette opened the 2014 Patriot League Women's Tennis Championships with a 4-0 win over Holy Cross at Bucknell University's Varsity Courts on a sunny but chilly afternoon.
The Leopards, seeded eighth, captured the first, fifth and sixth singles matches and won two of three doubles contests to close out the match. Caroline Nixon and Lauren Tracy each had a hand in two wins for the Leopards. Nixon defeated the Crusaders' Taylor Stathis 6-0, 6-0 at No. 1 singles and teamed with Catherine Senopolous to beat Stathis and Virginia Peck Phillips 8-4 at No. 1 doubles.
Tracy defeated Holy Cross' Marielle Newell 6-1, 6-2 at No. 6 singles and paired with Amanda Kusnierz to knock off Newell and Maya Welch 8-5 at No. 3 doubles. Lafayette's Tori Almeida was also a 6-0, 6-1 winner over Welch at No. 5 singles.
Holy Cross, the ninth seed, received an 8-6 win from the No. 2 doubles tandem of Jaclyn Carroll and Molly Montgomery against the Leopards Rocine Moschella and Almeida.
Quarterfinal action will begin at 9 a.m. on Friday as Lafayette will take on No. 1 seed Boston University. Host Bucknell, the fourth seed, will play No. 5 Lehigh at 11 a.m. The afternoon matches feature defending champion Army, the second seed, against No. 7 Colgate at 2 p.m. followed by No. 3 Navy against No. 6 Loyola at 4 p.m.
Keep track of the results at the Patriot League Women's Tennis Tournament Central.
LAFAYETTE 4, HOLY CROSS 0
1. Caroline Nixon, Laf, def. Taylor Stathis 6-0, 6-0.
2. Virginia Peck Philips, HC, led Rocine Moschella 6-3, 5-2, DNF.
3. Jordyn Spellberg, Laf, led Jaclyn Carroll 6-1, 3-3, DNF.
4. Catherine Senopoulos, Laf, led Molly Montgomery 6-4, 2-0 DNF.
5. Tori Almeida, Laf, def. Maya Welch 6-0, 6-1.
6. Lauren Tracy, Laf, def. Marielle Newell 6-1, 6-2.
1. Nixon / Senopoulos, Laf, def. Stathis / Peck-Philips 8-4.
2. Carroll / Montgomery, HC, def. Moschella / Almeida 8-6.
3. Amanda Kusnierz / Tracy, Laf, def. Welch / Newell 8-5.