March 14, 2003
The Navy tennis team concluded its spring break trip to Florida with a 6-1 loss to Florida Atlantic, Friday afternoon in Boca Raton.
Florida Atlantic (5-5), who has been ranked as high as 58th nationally this year, won all three doubles matches, but each of the three went right down to the wire. At No. 1 doubles, Navy's Cameron Lickle and Chris McGrath dropped an 8-6 decision to David Demers and F.J. Schofield, while Navy's No. 2 pairing of Brandon Carter and Davy Lee lost by an identical score to Jeremy Perez and Kevin Obletz. At the No. 3 flight, FAU's Cristian Paiz and Oscar Plotnik held off Navy's Daniel Huynh and Joe Weisberger, 9-7.
"We had a great chance to win the doubles point," said Navy head coach John Officer. "We were tied 6-6 at No. 1 doubles and 7-7 at No. 3, but let both get away from us."
Navy's (6-9) lone win in the singles came at No. 2 where Lee won the first set from Obletz, 6-3, lost the second, 3-6, then defeated Obletz 10-7 in a tiebreaker to win the match.
The Midshipmen will return to the Mid-Atlantic Region with a March 22 match at Richmond and a contest the following day in Annapolis against West Virginia.
FAU 6, Navy 1
1. David Demers (FAU) def. Cameron Lickle (NA) 6-4, 6-4
2. Davy Lee (NA) def. Kevin Obletz (FAU) 6-3, 3-6, (10-7)
3. Cristian Paiz (FAU) def. Chris McGrath (NA) 6-4, 6-3
4. F.J. Schofield (FAU) def. Matt Walton (NA) 6-0, 6-0
5. Oscar Plotnik (FAU) def. Brandon Carter (NA) 6-4, 6-1v
6. Ernest Diaz (FAU) def. Daniel Huynh (NA) 6-4, 6-1
1. Demers/Schofield (FAU) def. Lickle/McGrath (NA) 8-6
2. Perez/Obletz (FAU) def. Carter/Lee (NA) 8-6
3. Paiz/Plotnik (FAU) def. Huynh/Joe Weisberger (NA) 9-7