April 27, 2012
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Bucknell men’s tennis team (10-13) won its quarterfinal matchup against No. 5 Colgate (9-12), 4-1, despite losing the doubles point for just the third time in its last 10 matches. The No. 4 Bison will now face host and No. 1 seed Navy in the first semifinal match Saturday morning.
Colgate got the better of the Bucknell doubles teams Friday morning, needing just two matches to earn the first point of the day.
The Bison were swift to recover after doubles play and managed to earn the four necessary points against the Raiders in singles action to advance to tomorrow’s semifinal contest.
Kelly Morque was first to wrap up his efforts on the court, beating Sean Spellberg in straight sets in the No. 4 flight by the score of 6-2, 6-1.
Gregory Maxson managed to win his 10th singles match of the spring in the No. 6 position with a win over Connor Feuille, 6-4, 6-1. Maxson beat Feuille in their earlier bout this season by almost the identical score, 6-1, 6-4.
Evan Zimmer and Gregg Cohenca bounced back from their earlier doubles losses to each pick up valuable wins for the Bison. Zimmer defeated Bobby Berkowitz in the No. 2 contest, 6-1, 6-4, and Cohenca won the match for Bucknell taking down Luke Gensburg in three sets at the No. 1 slot, 6-3, 3-6, 6-0. Gensburg won the previous match during the regular season in three sets, 7-6, 5-7, 6-0.
In doubles, Bucknell duo Cohenca and Aidan Lynch lost to Alec Goldstein and Parker Lewis in a hard-fought contest in the No. 1 position, 8-5. The Bison partners beat Goldstein and Lewis in the regular-season match, 8-6.
In the No. 2 bout, Zimmer and Josh Katten saw their 10-match winning streak come to an end at the hands of Gensburg and Spellberg, 8-5. The loss also ended Zimmer’s 14-match winning streak that dated back to March 13 against Northern Illinois. After today’s match Zimmer has a 20-3 dual doubles record this spring.
Bucknell will have a quick turnaround when it takes on Navy in the semis tomorrow at 10 a.m. The Bison are 0-35 all-time versus the Mids and lost the regular-season contest, 4-3.
Bucknell 4, Colgate 1
1. Alec Goldstein/Parker Lewis (C) def. Gregg Cohenca/Aidan Lynch (BU), 8-5
2. Luke Gensburg/Sean Spellberg (C) def. Josh Katten/Evan Zimmer (BU), 8-5
3. Scott Bernstein/Kelly Morque (BU) vs. Bobby Berkowitz/Harry Jewett (C), 7-6, DNF
Order of finish: 2, 1
1. Gregg Cohenca (BU) def. Luke Gensburg (C), 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
2. Evan Zimmer (BU) def. Bobby Berkowitz (C), 6-1, 6-4
3. Josh Katten (BU) vs. Alec Goldstein (C), 6-4, 4-6, 1-4, DNF
4. Kelly Morque (BU) def. Sean Spellberg (C), 6-2, 6-1
5. Jonathan DeFrancesch (BU) vs. Alan Pleat (C), 2-6, 6-3, 0-3, DNF
6. Gregory Maxson (BU) def. Connor Feuille (C), 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 4, 2, 6, 1