April 25, 2012
BLOOMSBURG, Pa. – The Bucknell men’s tennis team traveled to Bloomsburg University (15-5) Wednesday afternoon and left with a 7-2 victory over the Huskies. Bison duo Josh Katten and Evan Zimmer picked up their 10th straight No. 2 doubles win. Bucknell is now 8-14 after wrapping up its final regular-season match against the Huskies. The Bison will now look forward to Friday’s Patriot League Tournament in Annapolis, Md.
Bucknell made quick work of Bloomsburg in doubles play as the Nos. 1 and 2 teams gathered victories to earn the first two points of the afternoon. Partners Katten and Zimmer earned their 10th straight doubles win over Jeff Nuhfer and Lee Wexler, 8-3. The Bison teammates have not lost a match since partnering up against Navy on March 25.
Gregg Cohenca and Aidan Lynch took down Ricky Dove and Mark Schroeder at the No. 1 position for the Bison. The two earned a hard-fought battle by the score of 8-5.
In singles play the Bison jumped on the Huskies taking the five of the six matches with relative ease. Only Zimmer and Octavio Canibe were pushed to a third set in their matches. Zimmer came out on the losing end to Dove in the No. 1 singles match, 4-6, 6-3, 10-8 and Canibe narrowly beat out Tyler Pultro, 6-2, 6-7(1), 12-10 in the No. 5 flight.
Katten continued his impressive form in singles play as well, winning his 15th match of the spring season. Katten picked up his win over Schroeder in the No. 2 bout, 7-5, 6-0.
Other Bison to pick up victories were Kelly Morque
over Wexler 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3 singles, Jonathan DeFrancesch
over Nuhfer 7-5, 6-3 at No. 4 singles and Kyle Rosen
over Mike DiSanto 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 6 slot.
Bucknell will play again Friday in the Patriot League Tournament in Annapolis, Md., at the United States Naval Academy Tennis Courts. The No. 4 seeded Bison will take on No. 5 Colgate in the first quarterfinal contest at 9 a.m.
Bucknell 7, Bloomsburg 2
1. Gregg Cohenca/Aiden Lynch (BU) def. Ricky Dove/Mark Schroeder (Bloom), 8-5
2. Evan Zimmer/Josh Katten (BU) def. Jeff Nuhfer/Lee Wexler (Bloom), 8-3
3. Tyler Pultro/Mike DiSanto (Bloom) def. Scott Bernstein/Kelly Morque (BU), 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Ricky Dove (Bloom) def. Evan Zimmer (BU), 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
2. Josh Katten (BU) def. Mark Schroeder (Bloom), 7-5, 6-0
3. Kelly Morque (BU) def. Lee Wexler (Bloom), 6-2, 6-2
4. Jonathan DeFrancesch (BU) def. Jeff Nuhfer (Bloom), 7-5, 6-3
5. Octavio Canibe (BU) def. Tyler Pultro (Bloom), 6-2, 6-7(1), 12-10
6. Kyle Rosen (BU) def. Mike DiSanto (Bloom), 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 6, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1