April 12, 2011
BETHLEHEM, Pa. - For the second consecutive outing, Bucknell women's tennis did not allow even one match to its opponent, sweeping Lehigh 7-0 at the Lewis Tennis Center on Tuesday afternoon. With the convincing win, the Bison close out their regular-season Patriot League schedule with a 3-2 record. They are also 9-10 overall with three matches remaining ahead of the league tournament later this month.
Bucknell took five out of six singles matches in straight sets after winning all three doubles contests. Only Elena Vidrascu (Rochester, N.Y./Sutherland) had a battle on her hands, but the match had already been decided before her result went final. After losing the first set to Abbey Perl 6-3, Vidrascu evened the match with a 6-1 score in the second. A super tiebreaker then went in the Bison's favor, 10-5.
Lauren Lucido (Woodstock, Md./St. Paul's School for Girls) notched wins in both singles and doubles. The senior teamed up with Dumitrita Iepuras (Chisinau, Moldova/Germantown Friends School) for an 8-2 decision over Taylor Hampshire and Jenai Bilimoria at No. 1 doubles. Lucido then went on to a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Hampshire at first singles.
Lucido's career singles record now stands at 85-36, while her doubles record is 81-35. Both are second all-time at Bucknell but just one shy of tying the respective records. Lucido is already first in program history in total victories at 166-71.
Bucknell's win at No. 1 doubles was the first of three on the day. Courtney Casey (Rockville, Md./Georgetown Visitation) and Daria Tuzhikova (Minsk, Belarus/Gymnasium No. 7) won 8-5 at the No. 2 position over Elizabeth Piscitelli and Perl, while Dara Dwojewski (Chester, N.Y./West Morris Mendham) and Vidrascu took the 8-4 decision over Jillian Sloand and Kathleeen Larkin.
Also collecting wins in singles were Iepuras at No. 2 (def. Bilimoria 7-5, 6-3), Lauren Rottkamp
(Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) at No. 3 (def. Piscitelli 6-4, 6-0) and Casey at No. 4 (def. Trish Meuthing 6-2, 6-3). Dwojewski wrapped things up at No. 6 singles, 6-1, 6-2 over Larkin.
Bucknell will be back on the court tomorrow when it hosts Robert Morris at 3 p.m. at the Varsity Tennis Courts. The match is the last one for the Bison on their home courts.
Bucknell 7, Lehigh 0
1. Dumitrita Iepuras/Lauren Lucido (BU) def. Taylor Hampshire/Jenai Bilimoria (LU), 8-2
2. Courtney Casey/Daria Tuzhikova (BU) def. Elizabeth Piscitelli/Abbey Perl (LU), 8-5
3. Dara Dwojewski/Elena Vidrascu (BU) def. Jillian Sloand/Kathleen Larkin (LU), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Lauren Lucido (BU) def. Taylor Hampshire (LU), 6-1, 6-4
2. Dumitrita Iepuras (BU) def. Jenai Bilimoria (LU), 7-5, 6-3
3. Lauren Rottkamp (BU) def. Elizabeth Piscitelli (LU), 6-4, 6-0
4. Courtney Casey (BU) def. Trish Meuthing (LU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Elena Vidrascu (BU) def. Abbey Perl (LU), 3-6, 6-1, (10-5)
6. Dara Dwojewski (BU) def. Kathleen Larkin (LU), 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 3, 2, 6, 5