March 27, 2010
LEWISBURG, Pa. -- Bucknell won five of six singles matches and swept all three doubles matches to hand the Navy women's tennis team a 6-1 setback in the program's first Patriot League match in school history.
The loss snaps Navy's four-match winning streak and drops Navy's record to 7-3 overall and 0-1 in the Patriot League. Bucknell improved to 6-5 overall and 1-0 in league play.
"It was a tough loss for us. I thought Bucknell just played a better match than we did. Bucknell played a very smart match. They made very few errors and we just made too many," said Navy head coach Keith Puryear. "We will learn from this and hopefully rebound this coming weekend against two more Patriot League opponents."
Navy's lone win came from freshman Stefanie Ton at No. 3 singles. Ton improved to 7-3 in the spring season and 9-7 overall with a 6-1, 6-1, win over Carlin Carcaterra. The singles match was the first match to end, briefly tying the dual at 1-1 before Bucknell won the last five singles matches, all in straight sets.
Navy's best opportunity to gain a singles win came from freshman Natalie Houle at No. 5 singles. Houle dropped a 6-1, 6-4, decision to Courtney Casey.
Navy will host both Lehigh and Lafayette next Friday and Saturday in Annapolis at the Tose Family Tennis Center. Both matches will begin at 2:30 pm.
1) Varela / Lucido (B) d. Decquir / Boucher (N), 8-2
2) Calcaterra / Casey (B) d. Das / Ton (N), 8-4
3) Iepuras / Tuzhikova (B) d. Olsen / Dias (N), 8-1
# GO NAVY #
1) Tania Varela (B) d. Emani Decquir (N), 6-2, 6-2
2) Lauren Lucido (B) d. Brittney Boucher (N), 6-3, 6-3
3) Stefanie Ton (N) d. Carlin Calcterra (B), 6-1, 6-1
4) Dumitrita Iepuras (B) d. Dye Das (N), 6-3, 6-2
5) Courtney Casey (B) d. Natalie Houle (N), 6-1, 6-4
6) Lauren Rottkamp (B) d. Lindsay Olsen (N), 6-0, 6-3