Bucknell junior Mike Nicholson was named Male Swimmer of the Week.
Oct. 25, 2012
CENTER VALLEY, Pa. – By the time the upcoming weekend is complete, all eight Patriot League schools will have officially begun their 2012-13 swimming and diving campaigns.
The last two holdouts have been Colgate and Lafayette. The Raiders will host Lehigh and Yale in a tri-meet, which will feature the Mountain Hawks’ first competition against a League opponent this season. Lehigh dove into the pool for its opener last weekend against West Chester, where the Mountain Hawks suffered two very close defeats.
Meanwhile, the Leopards open their season with a 2 p.m. quad meet Saturday hosted by Loyola Maryland. Lafayette will also face Seton Hall and Drexel in Baltimore. Head coach Jim Dailey’s crew is looking to build on a strong showing at last year’s Patriot League Championship Meet in Annapolis, Md.
The Holy Cross women have already been in action this week, dropping a 192-99 decision Wednesday at Siena.
Patriot League Notebook
• The weekend schedule begins with a pair of meets Friday involving the academies. Coming off last week’s split with UMBC, Navy is back into competition to visit Virginia at 3 p.m. Army is home for a 6 p.m. meet against Connecticut, which hosted Bucknell last week.
• American and Holy Cross join Colgate, Lafayette and Lehigh in action Saturday. The Eagles have a dual meet with Howard, while Holy Cross takes on Springfield.
• Teams will take off exactly one week before returning to the pool Nov. 3. That will be a huge day involving Patriot League teams, as Lafayette will host American, Bucknell and Navy for a quad meet.
• Army and Navy both split their dual meets last Friday. The Black Knights won the men’s meet against Massachusetts, while the Navy women were victorious against UMBC.
• Lehigh’s two losses to West Chester were by a combined seven points.
• Bucknell split with Fordham and was swept by Connecticut in a tri-meet in Storrs, Conn., last weekend.
Patriot League Weekly Awards
MALE SWIMMER OF THE WEEK
MIKE NICHOLSON, BUCKNELL Jr., Chappaqua, N.Y.
Nicholson was the only Bison double-winner on the week as he captured the 200-yard fly and 200 IM events in a tri-meet at Connecticut that also included Fordham. Bucknell bested the Rams 179-120 but settled for a split after falling 175-125 to the Huskies. Nicholson won the 200 fly by 2.47 seconds, and edged the 200 IM field by 1.92 seconds.
FEMALE SWIMMER OF THE WEEK
LAURA GORINSKI, NAVY Sr., Greensburg, Pa.
Gorinski went 3-for-3 in individual events in her first outing of the season as Navy handed UMBC a 164-136 loss Friday in Baltimore. Gorinski swept the 100 and 200 breaststrokes, clocking winning times of 1:05.78 and 2:22.23, respectively, in a meet against the team picked to win the America East. Navy won nine of the 12 individual events, and Gorinski was also part of the Mids’ second-place foursome in the 200 medley relay.
MALE DIVER OF THE WEEK
CHRIS NGUYEN, ARMY Sr., Cheshire, Conn.
Nguyen, the defending Patriot League Male Diver of the Championship Meet, qualified for the NCAA Zone meet in the one-meter competition after finishing first with 315.30 points as Army posted a victory over Massachusetts. He added a victory in the three-meter competition with 305.85 points, besting the field by over 35 points.
FEMALE DIVER OF THE WEEK
CHRIS SZEKELY, ARMY Fr., Doylestown, Pa.
Szekely logged a pair of wins in Army’s victory over Massachusetts, taking the gold in the 100 free (47.39) and the 200 free (1:42.47) while settling for runner-up in the 500 free (4:46.96).
NAT BEALE, ARMY Fr., Baltimore, Md.
Beale swept the backstroke events and captured the win in the 200 IM for the second straight meet as Army was in competition against Massachusetts. The rookie won the 100 back in 58.99, clocked a 2:07.59 to win the 200 back and took first in the 200 IM in 2:11.43.
TOM DUVALL, NAVY Fr., Durham, N.H.
Duvall was victorious in the 500 free (4:39.11) and 1,000 free (9:33.52) against UMBC, giving him six victories in six individual events thus far in 2012-13.