Jan. 14, 2011
LEWISBURG, Pa. - The Bucknell men's and women's swimming and diving teams have spent plenty of time training since their last official meet Dec. 4 against La Salle. The Bison will get to finally see different faces in adjacent lanes this weekend when they host Patriot League rival Army (Saturday at noon) and travel to Columbia (Sunday at 1 p.m.).
Bucknell will have five meets in the next 15 days before sitting idle for nearly three weeks leading up to the Patriot League Championships, which will take place at Kinney Natatorium Feb. 17-19.
- Bucknell is 5-2 overall this season and 3-1 in Patriot League competition. The Bison were edged by La Salle, 150-144, in their last meet the first weekend of December. The Explorers outscored Bucknell 13-4 in the final relay to come away with the victory. The Bison won eight of the 14 events in which they had a competitor, with Matthew Segar (200 free, 500 free) claiming two events.
- For his performance against La Salle, Segar was named the Patriot League Male Swimmer of the Week on Dec. 6. He posted a season-best time of 1 minute, 40.64 seconds in the 200 free as he became the second Bison swimmer to be honored with a weekly award from the Patriot League this year.
- Bucknell is 4-20 all-time against Army. The Bison lost to the Black Knights by a 178-117 score last year, snapping a two-meet winning streak. Bucknell's victory over Army in 2007-08 marked its first against the Black Knights since 1975.
- The Bison are still looking for their first victory against Columbia as they are 0-6 in the series that has been contested every year since 2004-05. The Lions claimed last year's meet at Kinney Natatorium by a 158-83 margin.
- This is the fourth straight year Bucknell will be facing Army and Columbia on the same weekend. Each time one meet has been at home and one on the road.
- Bucknell enters Saturday's meet with an all-time record of 21-15 at Kinney Natatorium. The Bison are 3-2 at home this year.
- Army, which faces Lehigh Friday night, brings a 4-4 record into the weekend. Columbia is 3-1 this season.
- Bucknell is 5-2 overall this year and 2-2 in Patriot League action. The Bison are coming off a decisive 198-102 victory over La Salle on Dec. 4. Freshman Kristen Purdy and sophomore Elizabeth Porcellio won three events apiece against the Explorers. Bucknell registered 12 first-place finishes in the 16 events contested.
- Morgan Popple was named Patriot League Female Diver of the Week after the La Salle meet. The junior posted the fourth-best mark (242.78) off the one-meter board in program history. She finished second in the meet and beat her previous personal best by 18 points.
- Bucknell is 13-4 all-time against Army and has won the last nine meetings, including a 183-112 decision at West Point last January.
- Bucknell and Columbia have met every year since 2005-06 and the Bison are 0-5 over that span. The Bison lost to the Lions by a slim 129-114 margin at Kinney Natatorium last January.
- The Bison have won eight of their last 11 home meets and are 28-10-1 overall at Kinney Natatorium since it opened in 2002-03.
- Army, which faces Lehigh Friday night, brings a 3-5 record into the weekend. Columbia is 1-3 this season.
Both Bucknell teams will next be in action next Saturday, Jan. 22, when they host Patriot League foe Lehigh at 1 p.m. at Kinney Natatorium.