Jan. 9, 2013
CENTER VALLEY, Pa. – Following a break that lasted nearly one full month, the calendar slowly began reawakening this past week as both Bucknell squads, Army and the Navy men were in action to begin 2013.
Army was in the pool first and captured the overall team title at the Copa Coqui Invitational in San Juan, Puerto Rico Thursday. Freshman Chris Szekely was the top overall men’s point recipient, and helped the Black Knights to two victories.
Elsewhere, both Bucknell teams lost in a dual meet at Columbia, and the Navy men returned to the pool for the first time since the rivalry meet with Army with a loss at No. 23 Princeton. Both meets were over the weekend.
A very busy weekend is on tap, as teams begin earnest preparations for the Patriot League Swimming and Diving Championships, which are set for Thursday-Saturday, Feb. 21-23, from Bucknell’s Kinney Natatorium in Lewisburg, Pa. Navy is the defending champion on both sides, having swept the titles at last year’s meet in Annapolis, Md.
Patriot League Swimming and Diving Quick Hits
• Tickets for the 2013 Patriot League Championships go on sale Wednesday, Jan. 16. They’re available at the Bucknell ticket office by calling (570) 577-1000 or online at www.bucknell.edu/boxoffice.
• Colgate visits Bucknell Friday at 10 a.m. in the first meet between Patriot League teams in the new year. Later in the day Army is set to square off with Lehigh at 5 p.m. in Bethlehem, Pa.
• Army continues its Pennsylvania two-step Saturday when the Black Knights visit Bucknell at 1 p.m.
• A handful of non-League meets are on this weekend’s schedule as well, including Colgate at Cornell, Navy hosting North Carolina and American taking on Georgetown and James Madison in a tri-meet.
• Holy Cross returns to the pool the following week at the Worcester City Championships, while Lafayette is back in the water a week later in its annual League tri-meet with Colgate and Army.
• Each of the next three weekends features at least one dual meet between two League foes.
Patriot League Weekly Awards (Dec. 31-Jan. 6)
MALE SWIMMER OF THE WEEK
MIKE NICHOLSON, BUCKNELL Jr., Chappaqua, N.Y.
Nicholson won a pair of individual races and turned in a runner-up finish in Bucknell’s 209-91 loss at Columbia Saturday. The junior touched the wall first in the 200-yard butterfly in 1:50.29, while his second victory came in the 200 IM (1:54.49). He clocked a 51.34 in the 100 fly to take second. Nicholson was one of two Bison to post a pair of first-place finishes in the meet versus the Lions.
FEMALE SWIMMER OF THE WEEK
LAUREN PERRY, BUCKNELL So., Syracuse, N.Y.
Perry was Bucknell’s top finisher in her three individual events, taking second place each time. She clocked a 24.83 in the 50 free, a 53.50 in the 100 free and a 1:53.78 in the 200 free. In addition, she was part of Bucknell’s 800 free relay foursome that also finished second in 7:57.40.
MALE DIVER OF THE WEEK
BEN FREEDMAN, NAVY Jr., Kennewick, Wash.
Freedman placed third from both boards in Navy’s 182-115 loss at No. 23 Princeton Saturday. His largest point total came from the three-meter board (320.10), where he was just 3.23 points out of second place. Freedman was also strong in the one-meter competition with 275.47 points, just 4.58 out of second. He’s been in the top three in both the one- and three-meter dives six of eight times in 2012-13.
FEMALE DIVER OF THE WEEK
KATIE HETHERINGTON, BUCKNELL So., Houston, Texas
Hetherington won one of the diving events in Bucknell’s 190.5-108.5 loss at Columbia Saturday. She finished in first off the one-meter board with 245.40 points, the second time in which she’s eclipsed 240 points in that competition this season. It was her second-highest score of the year and her third victory in the event. She rounded out the meet with a sixth-place showing (224.24 points) from the three-meter board.
TOM DUVALL, NAVY Fr., Durham, N.H.
Duvall won a pair of events (500 free, 1,000 free) with times of 4:33.75 and 9:20.63, respectively, in Navy’s loss at 23rd-ranked Princeton Saturday. It’s his fifth sweep of the distance free events this season.
TYLER WENZEL, BUCKNELL Fr., Telford, Pa.
Wenzel posted a pair of fourth-place showings in Bucknell’s meet at Columbia, scoring 255.45 points off the one-meter board and 253.20 in the three-meter event.